Monday, August 14, 2006

when a vegetable loses its veg



My parents used to always joke about having to lock their car doors in late summer, lest someone fill up the car with unwanted zucchini (the joke, of course, being that the vegetable is so prolific that by late summer it is rendered nearly unpalatable). And all of that excess leads to creativity and efforts to transform the zucchini until it no longer resembles its former vegetal self. This summer my parents' usually abundant harvest met with unfortunate circumstances, and they are actually welcoming gifts of zucchini from the neighbors. But I have had an abundance of zucchini (not from my own efforts, but thanks to my fabulous CSA farmer). And last week, I ended up with a very large zucchini. And what can you do with a very large zucchini (especially when you are tired of eating zucchini) but make zucchini bread? The recipe that follows is an adaptation of my mom's recipe. It will make two loaves or 24 muffins. Now my only problem is that my abundance of zucchini has been transformed into an abundance of zucchini bread!


Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar (preferably superfine)
2 cups grated zucchini
3 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup almond flour
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup cocoa nibs

Heat oven to 350. Lightly beat eggs. Whisk in oil. Stir in sugar, zucchini, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients and add to zucchini mixture. If making loaves, grease and flour the pans. Bake for one hour. I suggest muffins for the easy peasy muffin tin liners. I failed to clock the baking time, but how about bake until a toothpick comes out clean?

Hi y'all--Sarah here--just had to add a relevant photo to Lis' post. Here's what happens when you go two days without looking in your vegetable garden in August: your zucchini turn into clubs!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa B. said...

zucchini bread, in muffin form and especially with the addition of cocoa nibs, will be a more welcome gift, surely, than the zucchini itself? though I managed to palm off a bunch of squash on the members of my writers group. I am going to try this recipe.

8:16 AM  
Blogger lis said...

you should try it Lisa. right now, I'm eating one of the muffins that I froze and I think these taste even better with a little aging.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

What's a cocoa nib, by the way?

1:44 PM  
Blogger lis said...

What's a cocoa nib? Sarah, you're so missing one of life's certain pleasures. They are roasted, chopped up cocoa beans. I love just eating them, but they also make an excellent nut replacement. Here's a link to Scharfenberger's: https://www.scharffenberger.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NIBBX.

You can also find them at natural food shops.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I tried a new zucchini bread recipe last night--should have used yours instead, Lis. Mine came from the Boulder Culinary School (they were handing recipes out at the farmer's market). I was intrigued because it called for a cup of maple syrup, which I love. Unfortunately, the bread is like a big, sweet, heavy brick with squash flecks. The recipe said to bake it for 60 minutes--well, it took 90 before the toothpick came out clean. Next time I'll stick with a Tart-recommended recipe!

Thanks for the nibs info--I'll look for them!

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home