Sunday, July 08, 2007

an easy, luscious summer dessert

The farmers' markets here in D.C. are starting to explode: The first honest-to-goodness dirt-grown tomatoes, the sweet corn, and the peaches all made their debut at my local market today. The peaches I bought were ripe but still firm, and I found some locally made mascarpone, so I made this based on something I remember reading about in the Washington Post food section. We had it with a very tasty dessert wine (Bonny Doon Vineyards' Muscat Vin de Glaciere) that I'd been saving for the right accompaniment:



Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone, Basil & Tupelo Honey

Slice peaches in half and remove pits (for grilling, it's important that the peaches not be overripe); rub a little olive oil on both sides. Preheat the grill; meanwhile, chop some basil and mix it into some mascarpone cheese (enough to put a dollop in each peach half). Put the peach halves cut side down on the grill; grill two or three minutes on each side. The peaches should be fragrant, lightly charred and heated through, but they shouldn't start to collapse. Put a dollop of the basil mascarpone in each peach half, drizzle with honey and top with a little more basil.

It was just Mark and me tonight, but this would be a fabulous dinner-party dessert for when it's too hot to turn on the stove and you want to impress guests with something that tastes much more sophisticated than it should.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

looks great. as soon as there are peaches at our market, I'm going to try this.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa B. said...

what's tupelo honey like? I'm not a big honey eater--always wonder what the different varieties taste like. Lavender honey I've had, and it's amazing.

6:19 AM  
Blogger tara said...

Tupelo honey comes from a specific part of Northwest Florida, and Mark bought a big jar of it for me when he visited the area a while back. I'd say it's got an herbaceous, almost piney note to it (but in a good way).

8:04 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I love peaches on the grill--I've made a marinade from a Cooking Light recipe that called for vanilla, balsamic vinegar, and pepper (sounds strange, but it works) and brushed it on while grilling. And if you can find decent peaches in cold weather, they're almost as good prepared under the broiler as on the grill! Weather has damaged the peach crops on the western slope here in Colorado, so we'll ge much fewer this summer, I suspect.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home