Friday, August 05, 2005

The United States of Cheese

I found this while browsing Epicurious for inspiration on what to do tonight with my farmer's market haul (tomatoes, corn, onions, potatoes, broccoli and figs, for what it's worth) ... it's The United States of Cheese! Fifty states, fifty cheeses. I see that their chosen Colorado representative is Fort Collins' own Bingham Hill Blue, which I still pine for. When I used to work at a bakery in grad school, we would sell our breads at the farmer's market, and the best part was that at the end of the market, all the vendors would swap leftover stuff. The Bingham Hill people were usually at the market as well, so I used to go home with giant chunks of this beautiful blue cheese, as well as all the free produce I could possibly use.

So...many...cheeses. Sigh. I feel so patriotic.

2 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

I can't believe they picked Cache Valley cheddar for Utah. Ok, I'm not really surprised since Cache Valley cheese is probably the most sold brand in the state, but it's really not that great. But there are some small farms around that make excellent goat cheese. And there is a new dairy selling great cheese at the farmer's market--can't remember the name, but maybe I'll buy some tomorrow.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Bingham Hill Blue is indeed an award-winning cheese that makes Fort Collins proud. I'm partial to MouCo's camembert, or as they market it, "brie's little brother."

As a native of Wisconsin, I had to see what delicious aged cheddars the "United States of Cheese" page would cite for the dairy state. To my shock and surprise, I've never heard of any of them. Their choices, in fact, just seem wrong. To wit: "Anejo Enchilado: A firm, pressed cheese rolled in paprika....Handmade in Wisconsin to an authentic Mexican recipe, this wonderful cheese is indispensable in our ‘cocina.’"

No further comment.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home