Saturday, September 10, 2005

Cute food?

Today at the Farmer's Market, I found these:



Mexican gherkins. It's hard to say what they taste like. The farmer said they tasted like cucumbers that have already been pickled (a little bit sour and sweet). I think they taste a bit lemony. I've only eaten one and I thought it was kind of gross, but that may be because I'd just beeng drinking coffee. I will see what I think later.

But aren't they adorable (like little watermelons)? And to be honest, I bought them because they are cute.



Really, they are irresistible in their cuteness. It is a bit silly to buy food because it's cute. But, I think that's why the farmer planted them. He told me they grew them because they are so much fun. He told me that they grow on a vine that's about the width of a hair. I think he was exaggerating, but I love the image that creates in my mind--tiny cukes hanging heavily from delicate green threads. I don't even care that I don't find them very tasty--they have been delighting me all day. And they were, after all, only $1.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

It sounds like a crush! You know, like when you'd see an adorable boy, know that he wasn't your "type," but still want to look at him whenever you could, and you were content with that. Impractical but delightful.

These "Mexican gherkins" are the Kirk Cameron of my junior high years.

8:17 AM  
Blogger lis said...

but I bet Kirk Cameron would probably have been tastier than these little cukes.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home