Sunday, April 30, 2006

visions of salads dance through our heads

Mr. Tart and I have diligently prepared our vegetable garden and raised beds this spring, adding topsoil, soil amendment, mushroom compost, and our wedding manure (thanks Katie and Aaron!). We yanked out all of the winter's weeds and harvested the leftover spinach and green onions. He even built a gorgeous new raised bed with retaining wall stones--a home for raspberries. We noticed today that last year's strawberries even have little white flowers already! And this weekend I planted seeds that can handle cold weather (because we're certain to have more freezing temperatures before June here in Colorado): spinach, mache (lamb's lettuce), mesclun greens, arugula, sugar snap peas, green onions, and leeks. Yay!

3 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

you are so making me wish I had a garden. but luckily the farmer's market is only 5 weeks away.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Soon it will be garlic scape season for you!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I spent 20 years of my life without knowing that mache existed, and then I went to France and my feelings about salad changed forever. It's perfect! I even used to bring it back from trips abroad before Whole Foods came to town and started selling it. Now we can grow it ourselves, so that means no more strange looks from the customs guy when I declare "lettuce" along with wine, cheese, and chocolate.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home