Thursday, June 22, 2006

Salmon in Seattle

Mr. Tart and I also recently returned from a West Coast trip: a week in Seattle and Portland to visit five different couples, one of which was getting married. While I was delighted to get to know his friends better (and he mine), I was also eager to eat some local salmon. It's just that we were expecting to have it in a seafood restaurant, not a hospital cafeteria. Yes, that's right: now he can say that he was at a bachelor party so raucous he ended up in the ER. (Actually, they were sedately playing video games when he got sick.) Thanks to emergency surgery, my husband no longer has a gall bladder. Amazingly, he was still able to perform his groomsmanly duties and stand up in the wedding the very same day he had an organ removed from his abdomen!

During the two days we were at the hospital, he was on clear liquids, but I had my meals in the cafeteria (supplemented by many "moral support" M&Ms from a vending machine). Surprisingly enough, the hospital salmon was better than what I've had in many restaurants. The honey glaze wasn't cloying and the fish was perfect--moist and tender and pink. And with sides of mashed potatoes and gravy and mixed veggies, it cost only $5--a bargain. Not that I'd recommend it to fellow travelers--at least, not with the gall bladder surgery appetizer.

4 Comments:

Blogger William Conway said...

I had my gall bladder out 5 years ago. Not as easily as your husband, though. I ignored it for a year and spent a week in the hospital. Glad to hear everything went ok!

6:01 AM  
Blogger lis said...

poor mr. tart! also glad that everything turned out ok. you're a brave soul for trying hospital cafeteria salmon.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

I need a good honey-glaze recipe for my Salmon. I had some at a wedding in Seattle last year and can't quite replicate it.
Perhaps if we find one, Mr. Tart can taste what he missed.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm 90% better, with the major remaining side effects being dietary, unfortunately. I've restricted to very low fat for a few weeks and no acidic foods (mouth sores from the breathing tube). Good thing I've got a great chef in the house, able to rise up to the challenge!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home