Monday, September 11, 2006

the best fish tacos?

As Tara pointed out earlier this summer, it's easy to screw up a fish taco. My parents learned this at a recent dinner party with friends who served fish tacos. As you might imagine, they don't get a lot of fish tacos in Green Bay, Wisconsin; these were in fact Mom and Dad's first ones ever. Dad put it succinctly, "I didn't like them, and that surprised me." He went on to reveal that they were served with lots of raw onions and that the fish was cold. So I told him about the good ones I've had here in Colorado and how I've tried to replicate them at home, and he asked for the recipe. I thought I'd start by describing what I do and then ask the rest of y'all to chime in with your opinions of what makes a dad-worthy homemade fish taco!

Take corn tortillas, preferably tender ones that you buy fresh from a Mexican restaurant (I like Los Tarascos in Fort Collins), and keep them warm. Pan-fry or grill a mild white fish (I usually use tilapia) after briefly marinating it in spices (such as garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin) and a little lime juice, break it into chunks, and keep it warm. Wrap some of the fish in one or two tortillas and top it with some or all of the following: finely chopped cabbage, grated Mexican quesadilla cheese (I think the kind we like here is "Queso Campesino" brand--it melts like a dream!), chunks of avocado, and a tomato-based salsa or chopped tomatoes. Squirt some fresh lime juice over the top before you dig in!

6 Comments:

Blogger William Conway said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:54 AM  
Blogger William Conway said...

Holy Moly, I don't think those tacos need anything more than a squirt of hot sauce (Chipotle Tabasco (mild) or Cholula (hot)) to reach taco nirvana!

In my own fish tacos, I use grilled previously-frozen Mahi from my local Costco. I think tilapia is a little too hard to grill.

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend white corn tortillas as having a slightly milder flavor than yellow and thus less likely to overpower the fish

5:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

My friend and colleague from Paraguay just taught me how to make Mexican-style corn tortillas, and we ate them with shrimp and onions sauteed in butter, avocado, and mango. They were out of this world--better than any other fish taco I've ever eaten.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real fish tacos have deep fried beer battered mild white fish in them. They are also topped with a spicy cucumber mayo sauce that I wish I knew exactly what is in it. Then, top them with a pureed hot sauce that consists of tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, and a bit of jalapeno, then top with cabbage and optionally chopped cilantro. Normally they are served on yellow corn tortillas as well.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous best fish tacos said...

I never would have thought to put fish in a taco! Now you've got me curious and this is on my 'have to try' list... and I'll take the beverages, too!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home