Wednesday, September 27, 2006

the new CHOW has landed

We at Three Tarts were greatly saddened when our favorite new food magazine, CHOW, announced several months ago that it was eliminating its print publication and going Web-only. It was bought by CNET, a publisher known for its tech media. All three of us were brand-new subscribers when it happened (has anyone received their replacement issue of Intermezzo, as promised? I haven't).

I visited the new CHOW today, and my tentative response is that I'm pleased. I can't fully pass judgment until I look around a little more. A little bit of the old DIY spirit is gone, but not much. I think CNET did a decent job of preserving the tone. And I totally want to make that caramelized mango ice cream.

I'd also totally forgotten that CNET also bought Chowhound. They're really tying CHOW and Chowhound together. They're still separate websites, but there's a lot of cross-pollination going on. And even though the message boards on Chowhound are MUCH easier to use now, I have to say that the old board's impenetrable nature was part of its odd charm. I'm not sure why.

And, finally, I'm happy to have just discovered DCFoodies (Ed, this blog may interest you as a former Washingtonian). It's helping me build my list of things I must try in my new city (the tasting menu at Komi, the lobster roll at Hank's Oyster Bar, amazing Szechuan at Joe's Noodle House).

3 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

one problem with the new CHOW website is that much of the content is canibalized from the print mag. I want some new content! But hopeful this problem will be remedied as the site develops.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I did indeed get my first issue of Intermezzo. I clipped a few recipes--it's hard for me to walk away from a food magazine without a few clippings--but overall didn't feel like I was their target audience. It's much glossier than CHOW with none of CHOW's grittier charm. Alas.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The DC foodies site is interesting. It makes me want to look for a Denver site. Also, it's interesting to see reviews of old faves of mine, even when they're not great.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home