Friday, April 20, 2007

best beer-bottle label ever

I adore cool, vintagey labels and frequently keep random found knickknacks around the house for no practical reason. When I recently visited the Brickskeller, a 50-year-old D.C. bar that boasts a dizzyingly encyclopedic beer list of over 1,000 brews from around the world, I ordered a Piraat ale because I asked our server to suggest a good Belgian tripple. I had no idea I was getting such an awesome label -- had I known, I would have ordered it for this alone:



I wish I had a poster of this. Anyway, look in the lower right-hand corner. Can you read that, where it says "Alc. 10.5%"? Yes, this beer packs a punch, which I noticed the next day. Ahem.

Anyway, the Brickskeller is great. It's practically in our backyard, it's very cool and laid-back and not meat-markety, and if you'd like to try a beer from, say, Estonia, Bolivia or Vietnam, you're in luck. (Fort Collins, however, is snubbed: no New Belgium beers, no Odells. I would have ordered an Easy Street Wheat for old times' sake.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

This is a very cool label. I love that kind of stuff, and contrary to popular suggestion, I judge many things on their cover. When I go to buy wine, and I want to try something new, I pick the one with the prettiest label within my price range. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't, but hey, at least the bottle is nice to look at.

I bet if you looked around, you'd be able to find a print or a poster of that label. Or if you really like it, you could probably have one made.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been to the Brickskeller three times in the past year, but in those visits, I've had beers from Iceland, Estonia, Lebanon, Belgium and the U.S. Yay, Brickskeller.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Yet another place to take us to when we come visit y'all in DC some day!

8:11 PM  
Blogger lis said...

So this post poses the question of what do you look for in a label? For instance, a friend of mine always picks wine with animals on the label. I look for labels without pictures. Anyone else have a label preference?

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone, Lis.
http://www.boston.com/ae/food/wine/articles/2006/03/17/wines_with_critter_labels_are_hot_sellers/

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home