Monday, July 09, 2007



In winter, the NY Times brought us the infamous No-Knead Bread, the bread that became the darling of the food blogging world. And now, in another moment of the sublime made easy, they bring us: butter!

I don't know why this hasn't already shown up on every food blog in creation. Patterson's instructions are easy-peasy. Read the article for details, but the basic process is 1) Beat cream 2) Drain buttermilk 3) Knead butter. It took 15 minutes and it's truly amazing butter. I want to eat it by the spoonful. I just might.

This approach is not really about saving money. The cream cost me about $6 (although I probably could have got it cheaper). For my money I got 2 cups of butter and 2 cups of buttermilk. Patterson gives a few recipes for the buttermilk--they all look great. I haven't tried anything with the buttermilk yet, but I'll let you know.

Now that you are done reading, don't waste time for comments. Just make some butter!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I love when I hear about something that completely amazes me...like making butter. I never even knew that you could make it at home. Of course I wouldn't, since I have a rather unhealthy appreciation for butter, but what a great idea.

6:26 AM  
Blogger tara said...

Wow, so all those times I've accidentally over-whipped cream to the curdling point and had to throw it out, I could've just kept going and made butter? Excellent! I will have to try this.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home