Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chefs and their last meals

Check out My Last Supper, a photoessay on famous chefs and the foods they'd choose for their last hurrah before leaving this world. Who wants a foie gras terrine? Who wants chips and guac? Who's photographed wearing a totally awesome hat made out of pasta? Find out here. Oh, and Ferran Adria, father of molecular gastronomy? His last-meal picks involve no foams, no spheres of whatever suspended in something, nothing you'd need an immersion circulator to make. Which isn't surprising, I suppose. Even Ferran Adria has comfort foods. Food is still love, even when your life's work involves playing chem lab in the kitchen.

I'll have to think more about what my own last meal would involve. What about yours?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Chili and homemade cornbread.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of them seemed to want sushi. I wonder what's up with that.

9:44 PM  
Blogger tara said...

Yeah, I like sushi and all, but last meal? It's not even what I want when I've just had a bad day at work, let alone last meal on earth.

But it's clean, simple flavors, and I do like chefs who gravitate toward the simple.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I'd go for fatty and deep fried foods--cheese, chocolate, French fries. It wouldn't be elegant at all.

8:58 AM  
Blogger lis said...

I have to say that all of the choices are a little fussy. I know they are chefs and all, but can't they let go of that for a second and just admit that they want a cheeseburger or something. I have to say, I wasn't buying their choices at all. I suspect that if they were answering that question for a friend rather than a book/ photo shoot, they would make a completely different selection.

8:41 AM  
Blogger tara said...

Yeah, I think you're right. Has anyone seen "The Aristocrats"? I suspect that the Aristocrats joke is to comedians what the "last meal" question is to chefs. It's like a professional secret handshake, a way to size each other up.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny - I just read about this book - I think it'll make a nice Christmas gift for my brother-in-law.

I'm not sure what my last meal would be, but I'm sure it would end with a slice of rich cheesecake.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home