Saturday, August 06, 2005



Kohlrabi always struck me as an unfortunate vegetable--too bland, too hard to peel. My parents used to grow them in the garden and my mom would eat them raw with salt. I also remember some sort of battered fritter, but maybe that was the eggplant. I thought kohlrabi was "yucky." I haven't seen it since childhood, so I was surprised (and a bit dismayed) to see it in last week's share from the farmer's market. But I have realized that my dislike of certain foods when I was young was more about preparation than the food itself, so I dutifully searched the web for recipes and found kohlrabi and potato gratin. This was perfect because I could also use some of the abundance of garlic and potatoes I have in my kitchen. Much to my surprise, the gratin was delicious (I would show you a picture, but I ate it all up). The kohlrabi gave what would have been a predictable dish a suprising tang. I can imagine lots of other possibilities for the kohlrabi: raw in salad, stir-fry, maybe even mashed. Too bad I promised the remainder of my kohlrabi to my mom.

2 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

Yep, I get random produce every week. It's the first year I've done it--not the best year to start, I suppose, as our very wet spring made for a poor growing season. But, even though the haul has been sparse, I'm happy to be supporting the farm. The farm I buy from is all organic and they grow the most amazing garlic. A husband and wife team, so a very small operation--6 acres or something like that. It's worth doing, I think. And I do like getting surprising vegetables--it forces me to be creative. And you should try kohlrabi--it's actually quite good.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always sort of thought that kohlrabi was sort of an archaic veggie from a bygone era. Probaby because the only people I've ever known to grow/eat it are my grandpa and the really old man who used to live next door :)

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home