Sunday, September 11, 2005

Eating L.A.: The 3rd & Fairfax Farmer's Market

Yesterday we made a pretty exciting foodie discovery about our new environs: the L.A. Farmer's Market. This is a year-round, permanent market that's been around since 1934. It's not really a farmer's market in the sense that I'm used to, with booths and all that. This is more permanent, so in addition to a couple of produce stands, there are restaurants, a cheese shop, bakeries, lots of places to buy cheesy tchotchkes, butcher's stands. Something about it felt like a heavily concentrated dose of New York. Some of the things we saw:


Mark with rugelach:


We'd already eaten lunch when we went to the Farmer's Market, unfortunately, but I can't wait to go back and eat at the Gumbo Pot. Oh, I want a muffelata.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

This market reminds me of some of the covered markets I got to know while living in France. At first they were a disappointment, because I wanted the stereotypical open-air markets that I thought lined the streets of many French neighborhoods, and because the covered ones seemed too practical and too supermarkety. I got over that; of course they're nothing like a supermarket!

The covered market in Chambery spilled out into the surrounding parking lot except on the coldest days of the year. I remember a gnarled woman who sold dandelion greens and told me to let them bathe in a vinaigrette for half an hour before eating them and to add a hard-boiled egg. Each corner of the building was anchored by a bar. I remember watching old, old men have a glass of red wine at 8 in the morning while their wives did the shopping, pushing tall, wheeled, plaid baskets pungent with cheese, leafy fronds poking out the top. I always wondered what they'd cook when they got home, and if the men normally had wine at breakfast.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We didn't get to the LA market until after noon, but I wouldn't have been surpried if I had seen people drinking there at 8 a.m.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home