Saturday, October 08, 2005

some good fall bread

Fall is a good time to cook soup and bake bread, but it's easy to get dissuaded from baking bread because it's so time consuming. Well, here's your solution: beer bread.

Beer bread is a genius concoction that simplifies the bread baking process by using beer as a leavening agent. You can make this bread with ten minutes of actual work and about an hour of baking. This is not pretty bread, but it sure is tasty.



Here's the recipe:

Mix 3 cups self-rising flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and 12 oz. of beer. Put mix in a buttered loaf pan and bake at 345 degress for 45 minutes. Remove bread from oven and drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter. Bake for another 15 minutes.

The type of beer you use will, of course, alter the flavor a bit. I really like porter because it gives the bread a nice sweet, salty, malt flavor. But any beer will do (even cheap, undrinkable beer).

I got the recipe from Karla, who was our cook when I taught at the Wilderness Field Station. On rainy northwoods days, we could eat stacks and stacks of this bread.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa B. said...

I can see how this bread would be good on cold drizzly days, but are you sure it's the beer? I think it might be the butter. Mmmm, butter.

7:57 PM  
Blogger lis said...

yep, I think the butter makes it taste particularly good. The beer makes it easy--although there is a beer taste to it.

7:05 AM  
Blogger ringloss said...

I just wanted to share that I made this bread the other night, and was quite pleased with the result. Thanks for the recipe!

I used home-brewed beer and DIY self-rising flour. (That's 1 cup flour : 1.5 tsp baking powder : 0.5 tsp salt. Y'all probably knew that; I had to google it.)

Also, I made the loaf pan myself, out of steel from my backyard smelter; and powered the oven with electricity generated by my own sense of self-satisfaction.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I tried it too! My favorite part was the butter-soaked crust (and the fact that it was laughingly easy to make and made the house smell warm). And as the crust is the part of bread that I dream about, I have an idea: Next time, I'm going to divide the dough into two loaf pans so that there's less innards and more crust! (Sort of along the lines of those muffin pans designed just to bake the muffin tops.)

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home