Sunday, July 15, 2007

enough with the raspberry sauce!

Sometimes something good--something sweet and beautiful--can go terribly, terribly wrong.

Raspberry sauce is a good idea. Who can complain really about sweet berries pureed, removed of seeds, drizzled decoratively on a plate? And if it's topped by rich chocolate cake and whipped cream? Nobody's going to complain about that.

But then the chocolate cake, cream, raspberry sauce becomes part of every restaurant menu on the planet. It starts getting a little tired. Blackberry sauce maybe? Cake with flour? A little variety would be nice.

You try not to complain until the raspberry sauce until it starts showing up in places it shouldn't: drizzled on top of creme brulee, turning the crisp sugar topping into mush; underneath a beautiful bread pudding full of cardamom and golden raisins.

Hey, just because you have a bunch of raspberry sauce in the kitchen doesn't mean you should put it on every dessert!

You start complaining, just a little. It's like you can't escape the raspberry sauce.

And then. . . the raspberry sauce appears underneath a mcmuffin sort of creation with eggs, ham, and cheese. What?! I'm sorry but raspberry sauce does not belong on this plate. (a meal at the B&B we're currently staying at)

This is the last straw for me and the raspberry sauce. I'm starting a boycott. I'm going to carry signs. I may even ride my bike naked through city streets just to get someone to pay attention. Stop it with the raspberry sauce!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The McMuffin thingy did grace our presence that morning, drizled in the razz. I agree that the combination was absurd, but contrary to La Lissa, I found it curiously OK. Not good, but OK. I attribute this to Pavlovian conditioning from the numerous breakfasts one orders with eggs ploped down next to pancakes, where the fruty syrups you can choose from invariably mingle with your eggs.

As I write this Lis is shaking her head, saying "it tasted like ass."

10:29 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I have to agree with you on this one. Even drizzled on a plate, topped with a rich chocolate torte and chocolate shavings, I'm not a big fan. So under an egg mcmuffin? No way. Unacceptable.

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raspberry sauce belongs with chocolate, ice cream, and other sweet concoctions, where its tartness can play a counterpoint. I don't see sweet in eggs. Not a good combination

6:43 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

I like to marinate salmon in a raspberry vinaigrette with cumin and salt and pepper. But even I don't think it sounds good with eggs. Or english muffins (soggy!).

7:08 AM  
Blogger tara said...

You're not alone. We should adopt the No Coulis banner.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this Will's first comment on the blog, or have I just missed his earlier ones?

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home