Monday, August 08, 2005

See these grapes here?

I hate to carelessly throw around superlatives, particularly so early in the life of this blog, but I'll go out on a limb here. These are the best grapes I have ever eaten. They are the Platonic ideal of grapes. We got them at the farmer's market today in Claremont. The sign said they were Japanese grapes, and a Google search on that seems to bring up only wine-related pages, but these are definitely table grapes meant for eating, not winemaking, so I'm not sure what they are exactly. Whatever they are, supermarket grape varieties do not compare.

We were so pleased with our find that when we made our second pass through the market and past the grape man, Mark was compelled to call out to him, "We really love your grapes." Grape Man just smiled benevolently. He knows he's got a good thing.

My other market finds: pummelos (like grapefruits but sweeter, a little more orangey), fingerling potatoes, green beans and baby bok choy. The bok choy vendor also had several varieties of eggplant, though I didn't buy any today. Aren't these lovely?

Between this and the stuff I got at the Riverside market on Friday, we are now thoroughly flush with produce. Good eats this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

There's no grape picture! The best grapes I've ever had were from an overpriced food market here in town, Liberty Heights (what some folks call Liberty Heist). Anyway, they were muscat grapes and really lovely.

8:29 AM  
Blogger lis said...

oh, now I can see the grapes.

7:38 PM  
Blogger brownbreadicecream said...

I've lived in Japan almost five years and all I can confirm is that, yeah, those are Japanese grapes. I have no idea what they're called, but I agree that the smell and flavor can be incredible. They can also be expensive as hell--I've seen a bunch going for about US$100.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home