Tuesday, October 11, 2005

a nice soup to go with that beer bread

Melissa's beer bread posting inspired me to make some soup, Southern California's lack of crisp fall weather be damned. Forgive the lack of photos of the finished product -- frankly, I was in a bad mood when I made it and wasn't thinking about blogging about it. (I cook to cheer myself up. I feel much better now, thank you.)

Mark found this recipe online recently when he was craving a soup we had at a bakery in Lincoln once. It turns out this doesn't resemble it, really, but it sure is delicious. It's hearty and filling, perfect for that first day where you have to turn the heat on in your house. (Not that this is happening here. I have to just imagine what that must be like.) Anyway:

African Peanut Soup

Chop up some onions (a couple small ones or one big one) and two bell peppers (whatever color you'd like--yellow or green will be nice for the color contrast) and saute in some oil in a big stockpot along with 4 cloves of chopped garlic. When all is nice and soft, add a 28-ounce can of chopped tomatoes, juice and all, 8 cups of vegetable stock, and 1 teaspoon of chili powder (or some red pepper flakes will work too, just something to give it a little bit of heat). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Then add 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice, reduce to low, and cover. Cook until rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Then stir in 2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter. It'll seem gloppy at first, but the peanut butter will melt and you'll have a divine, creamy soup that I would imagine would go great with some beer bread! mmmm.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I need to make sure that Tara is in a bad mood more often, because this soup is delicious.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Remember Thom, fellow Tarts? When we spent Thanksgiving with his Virginian family, his sister made his mom's famous "Thomas Jefferson's Peanut Soup," which tasted quite yummy and which I accidentally ruined when clearing the table. I still remember trying to be a good guest and bring stuff into the kitchen, but no one would tell me where to put anything or where to find tupperware, so I poured the brown, creamy leftover soup into the big saucepan half-full of brown, creamy stuff on the stove. But turns out I poured the soup into the leftover gravy. The family was horrified, I was mortified, and I've never had peanut soup since! But perhaps enough time has passed and I can try Tara's African version, which is probably more authentic than "Thomas Jefferson"'s anyway.

I've been craving soup too--thanks, Melissa!--and made a creamy lentil soup and a corn chowder with scallops and roasted green chiles this week. I used fat-free half-and-half for both and am pretty pleased with the results, even though there's something inherently disconcerting about non-fat cream.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home