Monday, February 06, 2006

brunch suggestions?

I'm making brunch for eight on Sunday, and it needs to be vegetarian-friendly. Any menu suggestions, anyone? I was thinking maybe crepes, maybe latkes (on Christmas Eve I used a recipe that called for both russets and sweet potatoes, and I was happy with how they turned out). Maybe both so there's some savory and some sweet? That's the beauty of brunch, after all. And then maybe some fruit (I have some beautiful blood oranges I got at the farmers market), coffee/tea and mimosas.

Got any brunchy recipes/ideas you swear by? Let me know!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa B. said...

Frittata and fruit salad.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah's got a dynamite potato chili cheese casserole. That's always good for brunch.

8:16 PM  
Blogger lis said...

I agree with lisa b--frittata. Absolutely. Andy maybe something bready--muffins, biscuits.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Much easier than potato pancakes and oh so yummy! We found this recipe in a B&B cookbook, then tweaked it.

1 2-lb package frozen shredded hash browns (I leave a handful or two out to make it easier to mix in the bowl and to save for a later breakfast)
1 c. sour cream
1 can cream of something soup (mushroom, chicken, whatever)
1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar
2 bunches green onions, chopped with some of the green leaves
2 small cans roasted green chilis
Salt and pepper (or cajun seasoning with salt) to taste
Optional topping: grated parmesan and/or homemade breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients except topping in large bowl. Put into large casserole dish coated with nonstick spray. Spring topping heavily over mixture. Bake 1 hour to 1hour 15 minutes. Yields 8 servings.

We had a dish called "Eggs Taos" at a recent brunch--scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, tortillas, avocado--that was tasty and a little sophisticated. It's from the "Colorado Colore" Jr. League cookbook--let me know if you'd like the recipe for that.

And I vote for quiche over frittata, plus scones as the bready bit.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the vote for quiche--it's delish.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

So how did it turn out?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Sounds delish!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home