Monday, March 06, 2006

a Cuban dinner

This weekend, we're having people over for a big' ol Cuban-themed dinner. Why Cuban? Frankly, because I want a mojito. (I was craving one and was planning this even before your post about the cucumber mojito, Sarah, but now I really REALLY want a mojito.) The tentative menu: Lechon asado (mojo-marinated roast pork), empanadas, gazpacho, coconut rice with black beans and fried plantains, tres leches cake and, of course, the mojitos. yum!

Oh, the other (not food-related) thing about our day in L.A. that I forgot to mention: We went to a great comics exhibit at MOCA. The postwar part of the exhibit was at the gallery we went to; another one somewhere else in the city has comics from the first half of the 20th century. This one went from artists like Will Eisner and Jack Kirby, who sort of established the narrative language of comics; to R. Crumb, who threw out the big mythic themes and did comics about the mundane; to the layered, self-referential work of Art Spiegelman, the guy who won a Pulitzer for "Maus." (That was an unwieldy sentence. I'm sorry.) I bought a copy of his "In The Shadow of No Towers," which I can't wait to read. Oh, oh, and Chris Ware, whose stuff I love, was in the exhibit too. If you're new to contemporary comics/graphic novels and want a good introduction to what's being done right now, look for this.

Then Mark and I went to get our engagement photos taken (included in the wedding package, so why not, we figured). I had this great non-sequitur conversation with my mother on the phone afterward:

Mom: What are you up to today?
Me: We just got done with the photos, so now we're going to go get some dinner.
Mom: I hope you didn't wear a scarf. Did you wear a scarf in the pictures?
Me: Excuse me?
Mom: People will think that's strange.
Me: Uh, I didn't, but you know, it's kind of cold at the beach this time of year. I saw a lot of people wearing scarves today.
Mom: People here don't understand your scarves.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

You know, Tara, you might have to practice making mojitos before the party with a test run to make sure that you have the right proportions, the best mint, a bubbly enough club soda....

A friend recently told me about her favorite mojito: a lavender mojito in Las Vegas!

The menu sounds great, by the way. But it sounds like a lot of work, too!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Tara, is that the pork you used to make in the crockpot, bring to work for lunch, and make people jealous with? :)

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara -
In case you're reading this at work, I just want you to know that we got the photos in the mail today. Check them out when you get home.
-Mark

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home