Saturday, May 27, 2006

competitive eating!

Last weekend, Will and I trekked off to Fruita, Colorado, for the Mike the Headless Chicken Festival, an event that Tara knows well. The culinary highlight of the trip was our feeble effort to enter the world of competitive eating.

Will participated in the wings eating contest, and while he seemed like an eager competitor. . .




All he was really interested in was getting some free wings. So while the petite winner downed twelve wings in one minute. . .



Will daintily ate six.



I cheered him on despite the lackluster performance and waited for my turn at the Peeps eating contest. Anyone who knows me knows that I love, love, love marshmallow peeps, so a sight like this nearly had me delirious with sugar-laden joy:



Most of my competitors were in the k-6 age bracket



but luckily a few adults joined up. I, however, started laughing a few seconds into the competition and ate a pathetic 2 1/2 peeps in 30 seconds. The winner (a man in his mid-thirties) ate 10. I did get to keep a box of peeps (which is all I really wanted anyway) and I got a lovely ribbon.



I was thinking that I might take on a rigorous training program this year, but since the International Federation of Competitive Eating "is against at-home training of any kind," I may have to rethink my ambitious plans. Sadly, it doesn't look like Will and I will unseat Richard and Carlene LeVevre as the reigning couple of competitive eating.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Competitive peeps eating?

There's something thoroughly warped about that idea. I'm not sure if it's the thought of that much sugar in that short of a time, or the cries of the peeps as they get wolfed down too fast to really be enjoyed.

I guess it's a good thing they discourage home training. The peeps massacre would be horrid.

:)

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peeps - you either love them or hate them. I cannot stand Peeps, so I'm amazed that you were able to eat even two-and-a-half of those horrid things.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Of course, if you're cramming the Peeps into your mouth that quickly, maybe you don't actually have to taste them!

2:51 PM  
Blogger lis said...

tara, I swear it was really hard. you try it!

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home