Wednesday, December 13, 2006

celebratory pancakes



This is just to say that the semester is over. OVER, I tell you. Ok, I still have to finish some grading, but I don't have to see my students anymore (which is sometimes a very good thing) and soon, very soon I will have three luscious work-free weeks. But for now, even though I'm still technically working, I can do so in my pjs and my slippers while sipping coffee and eating a tasty breakfast. And since it is the end of the semester, I deserve a breakfast that is both tasty and fattening like the puffy pancake. You may call this pancake by some other name, but in my childhood it was always called the puffy pancake and so it will remain. Here's the recipe in case you want to join my in a celebratory breakfast.


Puffy Pancake

1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1/c cup milk
pinch nutmeg
1/4 cup butter

Heat oven to 425. Melt butter in a 9-inch pie pan (you may be tempted to cut down on the butter, but don't. Remember, this is a celebratory pancake). While the butter is melting, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour the batter into the butter and bake for 20 minutes. Once it comes out of the oven, sprinkle the pancake with powdered sugar. Just to fool yourself that this breakfast is healthy, serve with fruit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa B. said...

We learnt this recipe from the first Vegetarian Epicure and made it with sliced apples, cooked in butter and sugar and cinnamon. Adding healthy upon healthy! (We called it German Apple Pancake, but I like Puffy Pancake much better, and it is oh so delicious, I concur.) (Let me add that I too am enjoying the reading of student work, since I can do it at home with whatever comforts I deem necessary, plus with the presence of dogs.)

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this before, though it sounds delicious! Do you put syrup on it like regular pancakes?

6:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I've never had a puffy pancake--can't believe I've been missing out for all these years!

In other baking news, I'm attempting my first Buche de Noel today....I'll post photos if it's not a disaster!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

PS: I finished all my grading yesterday! Yay! I had a celebratory "Tropical Wheat" beer at a pub in Longmont on the way home from school last night.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home