Saturday, November 11, 2006

rice pudding


I was in the mood for some comfort food that would be friendly to a discombobulated stomach, so I tried Deborah Madison's recipes for rice pudding and dried fruits poached in wine. Both are slow-cooked with a vanilla bean, a cinnamon stick, and some lemon zest. So, needless to say, the house smelled wonderful. Delicious while still warm, and even better straight from the fridge for breakfast this morning.

Also: This crazy fractal vegetable is too pretty to eat (courtesy of DCist).

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I made a boozy rice pudding this week too! Mine started with a traditional recipe, and then I added lemon zest and Grand Marnier and topped it with pistachios.

I agree that the romanesque cauliflower is fascinating to look at. I bought one once, and while it was good eating, it didn't taste significantly different from a regular one. (On the other hand, I didn't top it with cheese as the author recommends--and we all know that cheese makes everything better!)

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

recipes please!

mmm, rice pudding.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fruit compote was so good that I'm considering buying a dehydrator so we can supply our own dried fruit next time. It would also be a good way to eat local fruit in the winter.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home