Saturday, November 18, 2006

a Thanksgiving eve tradition

When Mr. Tart and I were in Wisconsin for Thanksgiving with my family last year, we learned of--and participated in--my cousins' annual pre-Thanksgiving celebration: Miles Standish Day. Apparently on the day before Thanksgiving, Miles Standish met with some Native American leaders for a meal and some important discussionsl; the menu was steak. As a result, my cousins and their families always go out for a big steak dinner on Thanksgiving Eve. They drink beer, dig into huge filets, and toast Miles Standish.

I suspect that this tradition originated as an excuse to eat steak before a week of turkey and its infinite leftovers. Although Google returns nearly 3000 results for a search for Miles Standish and steak, none of them appear to document this so-called historic red meat event. Does that matter to my family? No. Does it make their tradition even funnier because of the lack of authenticity? Of course!

So, therefore, in the spirit of my wacky cousins, I charge all readers of Three Tarts to help perpetuate this tradition. Have yourself a steak for dinner on Wednesday--or at least a burger--and toast Miles Standish. Bon appetit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nik said...

We have a bunch of veggers coming for Turkey Day but I'll see what we can do! I love the idea. Especially its lack of authenticity. A lot like Thanksgiving itself.

6:40 PM  
Blogger lis said...

yes, I like it. it rather reminds me of my friends who transform various non-holidays into dessert-themed celebrations (for instance, Groundhog Day is Lemon Day). I think I'm going to encourage them to generate some lore to accompany the gluttony. If you can justify it with history, all the better

7:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Nik--I'm an on-again, off-again veghead myself and haven't had red meat in 14 years. So I won't actually be participating in this holiday I'm promoting!

Lis--Yes please, generate lore and share it here!

Tara--Well put.

Speaking of the upcoming "gustatory marathon," did I mention that this year it's my turn to be the Tart roasting her first turkey (for both sides of the family, no less!)? Wish me luck!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Mr. Tart and I celebrated Miles Standish Day by going to a local burger joint where I was able to have a turkey cheeseburger (he had the regular burger, natch). My brother reports from Green Bay that this year's MSD feast was to take place at a Japanese steakhouse! Miles is getting international.

Tara--How am I planning to cook my turkey? With lots of stress and phone calls to my mother and mother-in-law! I'll report later with photos. But I tell you what, I've already ascertained that turkey necks are the grossest thing to ever come out of my refrigerator.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home