Tuesday, November 21, 2006

salt caramel ice cream

This morning, a friend directed my attention to this recipe over at Orangette for salt caramel ice cream. (Thanks, Shirin!) I had all the ingredients on hand, so I gave it a shot. I've had bad luck with caramel in the past, but wow, this was good. The ice cream didn't get quite as solid as I would have liked, but that's probably my fault. You're generally supposed to chill an ice cream mixture for several hours before putting it in the ice cream machine, but I always get impatient and give up after about an hour. I want ice cream NOW!



And my other exciting food news today is that my dutch oven arrived. This is the handle on the lid -- isn't it pretty?



Anyway, now that this is here, I can start my bread! Right now the dough is about five hours into its 18-hour rise. Will post pictures tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara forgot to mention the coolest thing about the ice cream: the salt. For the best taste, put a few grains of sea salt onto each spoonful. Delicious.

5:40 PM  
Blogger lis said...

I have bad luck with caramel too--horrible results and burnt fingers. Maybe someday I'll get the courage to try this. I'm with you on the waiting. Who can just let a bowl of potential ice cream just sit in the fridge?

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome Tara! I like my ice cream on the mushy side, so this looks good to me. Did you use the corn syurup or try it with sugar? - Shirin

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! And I have a jar of fleur de sel at home. Oh, how I love Penzey's.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home