Sunday, January 28, 2007

bread pudding? bread soup?

Mr. Tart and I recently dined at Boulder's Mateo, where we had a lovely meal--including a ginormous lobster raviolo--yep, just one!--which ended perfectly with what they called a dried-cherry and caramel bread pudding. Served in a ramekin, the custard was nearly liquid and the bread chunks still chunky and almost crisp. I suspect that this bread pudding hadn't actually been baked, because the bread had not absorbed much custard, hadn't gone soft, hadn't expanded and enlarged, and no dried crusty bits clung to the side of the ramekin. It was like a thick sweet soup studded with dried cherries and topped with caramel syrup. And this dessert tasted so rich and lucious I didn't even mind being misled by the "bread pudding" misnomer.

So here's what I'm wondering: does it really have to be baked in the oven to be considered "bread pudding"? And does anyone have a non-baked bread pudding recipe to share before I try to invent my own?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

no recipes, but I have a few ideas of how you could recreate the dish.

was the bread fairly soaked with the custard?

11:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Lis--yes, but it wasn't close to falling apart or expanding.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home