Thursday, January 08, 2009

Squirrel, it's what's for dinner

Since moving to Ottawa, I have spent a lot of time watching squirrels scamper about. They are everywhere and they provide a certain amount of entertainment while I am sitting at my computer grading papers or standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes. They have also scared the shit out of me a few times by jumping up on the windowsill unexpectedly. The squirrels are everywhere. And they are sort of adorable.

Now, though, I get to contemplate making them my dinner. According to the NY Times, squirrel meat is all the rage in England. Look, economic times are hard. And they're right there. They practically come inside if the window is open. They are also quite fond of our compost bin, so there's a trap right there. (Will did say he would get me a BB gun if I wanted one).

The article did mention that squirrels are very hard to skin, but I don't think that will be a problem for me with this handy guide from the Joy of Cooking.




Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nesse said...

Perhaps squirrel is becoming trendy again? The NYT ran an article on squirrel cuisine recently:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07squirrel.html?em

9:10 AM  
Blogger Lisa B. said...

Yikes. That boot on the tail is kind of horrifying.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

The boot is key. What if you don't have squirrel skinning boots? Are you really saving money if you have to buy new boots for skinning.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Instead of buying squirrel skinning boots, why not just make your own boots out of the skin you remove from your first squirrel? Voila: true squirrel skin boots.

Now that I live in Colorado, I tell friends that back home in North Carolina, we used to fix squirrel pot pies all the time.

Half of them believe me!

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home