Friday, August 12, 2005

Two Things I Would Like To Say About Various Fried, Pancake-like Foodstuffs

Here's what I made earlier this week with some of my farmer's market goodies: corn cakes with pepper jelly and goat cheese, tomatoes (unadorned, because they were just that good--hooray, summertime), and a salad with figs, manchego cheese, and walnuts. (The only things I know to do with fresh figs are to put them in a salad or eat them with yogurt and honey. Both very good, if you should ever bump into some fresh figs.) It was all good, but the corn cakes were a definite will-make-again dish. (Let me know if you want the recipe.)


And in other fried, pancakey stuff news, a coworker brought Korean bean curd pancakes to work last night and said she wanted me to try some good old Korean grandma home cooking. Yum, yum, yum. They were a little bit like Chinese scallion pancakes. I think there was kimchi in them (which, depending on how you feel about kimchi, I guess, either just piqued your interest or turned your stomach). I told her to bring her grandma's food in anytime. :)

I think she said they were called pin-jay-dock, but a Google search on that brings up nothing. But "Korean bean curd pancake" brought up this, which sounds just about right:

"Pindaettok: This mung bean pancake is another favourite street food or drinking nibble, cooked and served piping hot off the griddle and usually filled with ground meat, bean sprouts, chillies and fresh coriander."

1 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

I love kimchi--it's the only preserved food I know of where a slight explosion upon opening the seal is a good sign.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home