Tuesday, March 07, 2006

cheese and dreams, revisited

Back in September, I posted something about the British Cheese Board trying to debunk the notion that eating cheese before bed causes nightmares (dreams, yes; nightmares, no).

I'm not sure what this longstanding urban legend is ultimately rooted in, but oh, the things I learn reading Metafilter. Apparently it was around at least as far back as the turn of the 20th century, when comic artist Winsor McKay was creating a series of very trippy comic strips about a guy who always feels so bad after he ate that rarebit.

(Welsh rarebit = cheese on toast.)

I just ate an olive stuffed with blue cheese, and I'm about to go to bed. I'll let you know tomorrow if I have any dreams about a street rolling up like a hamster wheel or giant asparagus destroying my home. (I did have a cool one recently about a house that was an indoor swimming pool -- you could swim through the hallways from room to room -- and superimposed on the floor of the pool was a 3-D topographical map of the ocean floor. That one *must* have been a cheese dream.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a great Irish restaurant in Louisville that served a Welsh Rarebit with mustard. It was basically a sourdough bread grilled cheese with mustard. yuck.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

And there's an "Irish" pub in Wilmington that pours something akin to beer-moistened Velveeta on toast and dares to call it "Welsh rabbit." The horror!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home