Saturday, March 25, 2006

mmmm, NY

My recent trip to New York consisted of two primary activities: adoring my lovely new niece Frances and eating. What more can you ask of a trip, really? Frances is adorable, but she doesn’t do much yet, so I’ll just have to tell you about the eating.

The first stop was Brooklyn's The Chip Shop, which I argue makes the best fish and chips in the U.S. (and even though I haven’t made a full survey of chip shops in the states, this is the only good chip shop I’ve found outside of the UK). They are, as the Chip Shop declares, "bloody lovely." The Chip Shop is also famous for deep fried twinkies, snickers and such. But I’ve never tried them. When I eat at the Chip Shop (which is every trip to Brooklyn—sometimes twice) I eat Haddock, chips, mushy peas, and apple blackberry crumble. I tried to convince my brother to try the deep fried Snickers, but he argued that some temptations are better left untasted. He was worried (perhaps rightly so) that one taste of the deep fried sweet and he would be back every week.



The next day we lunched at Le Café Grainne which is—oh, who knows where it is I was just following my brother. This was my sister’s choice, who vividly remembers a previous meal there (at least an earlier incarnation of the place) of chocolat chaud and croque monsieur. She and the brother both had the same meal. I opted for tea (saved my chocolate fix for later) and a goat cheese leek crepe. We began the meal with escargot and ended it with a lemon sugar crepe. It was one of those simple meals that doesn’t assert any pretensions and so becomes lovelier. And the meal lasted longer than necessary over good conversation.





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mention of the Chip Shop reminded me of one of my favorite places in New York - Pommes Frites (I hope I'm spelling that correctly). It's a Belgian place (I hesitate to call it a restaurant) that, from what I remember, serves only french fries, dipping sauces and beer. Very tasty, but, like deep-fried Twinkies, not the type of food you can eat regularly.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Looks good--but fish and chips just isn't the same when it's not purchased to go and wrapped in newspaper to soak up the grease and eaten outside on a bench!

My Scottish friends have regaled me with stories of deep-fried Mars bars. Very frightening. But I heard a story on NPR about deep-fried cheesecake in this country. Equally frightening!

8:49 AM  
Blogger lis said...

sarah, be assured, that if you order out from the Chip Shop, they will wrap it all up in paper. Trust me, it's authentic. Tastes just like the fish and chips in the UK.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa B. said...

My Scottish son-in-law, if left to his own devices, will eat deep-fried anything. The candy bars are standard at this point. Now, of course, he's married to my daughter, so he eats civilized meals (at least when he's at home).

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home