Thursday, March 16, 2006

rum pretty much everywhere

Last Saturday, spurred mostly by my craving for a mojito, we hosted a dinner party with a Cuban theme. (Melissa, I wish we'd taken a picture of our dirty-dishes aftermath, because our kitchen was truly a disaster zone. Yours looked downright orderly compared to the monster we created.) Here I am, long before the guests arrived, um, "testing" the mojito proportions. Yeah, that's it.

(That glass of wine in the background? Also mine, I'm afraid.)

I made black beans with coconut rice and fried plantains--to the black beans, I added a healthy dose of smoked paprika (I love it, love it, love it) since I wasn't adding bacon, so it would still have that smoky character. Funny how it starts out so colorful:

and ends up like this:


Here's the slow-cooked, marinated-for-two-days Cuban pork:


and the empanadas:

the coconut & rum flan:

and the rum cake, which one guest suspected was actually making her tipsy (it is indeed pretty well soaked in rum syrup):


the whole spread:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

some blogs make me think, some make me angry, some blogs inspire me to action, or to chew on a freshy chopped plateful of rumination...

this blog makes me hungry!! and helps me not feel too bad about my own dinner party dishpile disasters!!!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Looks stunning! And looks like days' and days' worth of work (both before and after the dinner). It sounds like you prepared everything; what is your philosophy on having guests contribute to the meal? We waver--sometimes we want to do it all ourselves, but other times we're glad when guests offer to bring a dish.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

PS: What was in the empanadas?

12:07 PM  
Blogger lis said...

mmm, tasty. I believe the guest who was getting tipsy from the rum cake. I am a total lightweight and I have definitely gotten tipsy from a wide range of desserts.

11:05 AM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

that flan is downright stained glass-like! and i think i've had that rum cake...

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home