Thursday, October 26, 2006

a sorrel sacrifice

Saturday was the last day of the farmer's market around here, a very sad day indeed. And no one understands my sadness as much as Lisa B. at the Megastore. She, after all, makes lists for the final market, wondering what she can store, hoping for the last sweet peaches, knowing that she'll soon have to deal with the sorrows of grocery store produce (ok, maybe I'm projecting a bit here, but still, Lisa B. gets it). At this week's market, I ran into Lisa B. and the Historian at Sun River, where we both have a CSA share. I kept running into them as we made our rounds (I swear I wasn't following). At the place with all the herbs and the lovely eggs, Lisa remarked on their good sorrel. I told her how I had meant to make some sorrel soup the week before, but never did. There was only one bag of sorrel left, and Lisa told me to take it. The last bag of sorrel, on the last day of the market? I couldn't. But she insisted and told me I just had to blog about it. I certainly got the better end of that deal. Thanks Lisa, for sacrificing the sorrel and for making this soup possible.


I roughly followed a recipe from a soup cookbook that Tara gave me years ago (with the sorrel sacrifice and the gifted cookbook, this is a very friendly soup). Some sorrel, a few carrots, potatoes, onions, a good vegetable stock (I used the recipe from Gourmet, which is very dark and rich for a veg stock--highly recommended). Saute, simmer, puree a bit of it for texture. The sour, lemony sorrel makes what might be a bland and obvious vegetable soup worthy of a little attention. If only there were another week, another a bit of sorrel.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa B. said...

That soup sounds divine. I got a bag of lovely spinach at the same place, and have made it into part of a wonderful frittata, a spinach lentil soup, and finally a vegetable saute with grated carrots, grated zucchini (the last giant one still hanging around), garlic, and the spinach leaves.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

By the way, Lis, you inspired me: after hearing you rave about fennel for years, I finally went out and bought my first one. I made it into a cream-based soup with zucchini and it was almost as good as you promised! (I say "almost" because anise is not a flavor I normally seek out.)

And another confession: I've never cooked with sorrel, only eaten it with fish at a restaurant in France. I'll try that one next!

In other Three Tarts news, I'm very much looking forward to visiting with Tara and her family in Estes Park this weekend!

9:06 PM  
Blogger lis said...

I'm so sad--a tart reunion without me! you'll have to give me a report.

glad you tried the fennel--sorry it didn't completely live up to my raving.

10:43 AM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

Our last CSA day was last week too! I contemplated going back to a black blog template until spring.

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home