Monday, May 29, 2006

coconut-mango sorbet

We just got an ice cream machine as a wedding gift, so today I officially broke it in with a batch of coconut-mango sorbet, a recipe chosen because I already had all the ingredients on hand. You make a sugar syrup, chill it, and then puree it with mango, orange juice (the recipe said pineapple juice, but I had OJ in the fridge), the cream skimmed off a can of coconut milk (the recipe called for cream of coconut, i.e. the pre-sweetened stuff used to make pina coladas, but as should be clear by now, laziness was the order of the day and I had coconut milk in the pantry), lime juice and lime zest.

Half an hour in the ice cream maker and this lovely concoction was the result:


I am so loving this ice cream maker. My next batch, I've decided, will be green tea gelato. Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I think I want to upgrade my ice cream maker; it's a Donvier, where you freeze a canister filled with space-age liquid, then dump in the ingredients, then turn it every few minutes until the ingredients have chilled into ice cream (or sorbet, or frozen margaritas, or whatever). It's often hard to crank it, and it's always hard to find room for the canister in the crowded freezer. I'd love to hear some recommendations for machines that are easier to use!

9:17 AM  
Blogger lis said...

you should buy the Cuisinart one--it's fantastic. you still have to freeze the container, but it's not so big (of course I have nothing in my freezer). $50 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001540DW/qid=1149009059/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-7835501-1376831?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507


It's divine, really. I don't know how I lived without it.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like my Krups, but it's still a "freeze the container first" kind of system.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home